Ah, another successful year has flown by and we’re all wondering where the last 12 months went, yet again! But, with a new year comes new goals and achievements and our Landcare crew are ready to tackle 2020 head on!
What’s in store for Gympie Landcare in 2020? Well, you may have already heard that we are launching our Junior Landcare program in early February next year and already have many families signing up their interest. With the support of many local organisations and experts, we are certain our Junior Landcare kids are going to be wriggling in their seats with excitement.
In education and events we have a whopper of a year planned already and our Education & Events Coordinator, Rhiaan, has done a tremendous amount of work getting these organised. We listened to your feedback from this year from our workshops and Blockie’s course, and here is what you can expect in 2020:
- Cat’s Claw Creeper Removal and Basket Weaving
- Bee Keeping and Pollination Workshop
- Native Propagation & Grafting Workshop
- How to Establish, Maintain & Care for a Mushroom Farm
- Reforestation Methods
- Veggie Patches and Composting
- Food Forest Gardening
2020 Blockie’s Course (Starting 1 April 2020):
Our Blockie’s Course is back by popular demand! This year we’re introducing new presenters and field trips.
- Regenerating Your Soils (two part workshop)
- Small Grazing Best Management Practices
- Invasive Plant Identification & Management, Pest Animals & Invasive Species
- Regeneration of Specific Areas: Gullies, Ridgetops, Dam Health and Management, Fencing
- Rural Fire Safety & Property Hazard Reduction
- Pollinators & Insects – Microbats, Bees, Honey Possums, Bugs
- Koalas and Local Wildlife – Food tree identification, characteristics of local primary eucalyptus trees, I.D. marks/scats, Green corridors for animals, protection of waterways etc.
Note: The Blockies’ Course and specialised workshops will be announced in more detail closer to the dates. However, if you’d like to find out information, please contact us on 5483 8866. Member and non-member prices will apply.
Gympie Landcare will be taking part in quite a few local events as well as some of our own throughout the year. We are planning multiple community and school tree planting days, and a Clean Up Australia Day event. Additionally, we will be attending many of the local garden and agricultural festivals, and don’t forget – Our very own Landcare Festival on Saturday 19 September 2020. This year our festival will be held at Nelson Reserve to allow for more patrons and easier disability access. Make sure to follow our Landcare Festival Page to keep up to date with the progress of our planning!
Christmas Closing Hours
During the Christmas break our nursery and office will be closed from 1pm Saturday 21 December 2019 and will reopen Thursday 2nd January 2020. Additionally, please note that our Containers for Change express drop off point will also be closed during this period.
From all of the crew and the MC Members at Gympie Landcare, we’d like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and stay safe through this silly season!
Our next newsletter will be released in early February 2020.