Join us on a trip to Benworth Farm at Anderleigh, to discover where PFSQ have established farm forestry plantings with local species for both timber production and for environmental outcomes.
This project combines commercial and non-commercial species in strategic plantings associated with riparian areas and on land that was not suited to Macadamia nut production.
This workshop will cover the following three important aspects of reforestation, at an entry level:
- Planning a reforestation project – including:
- appropriate species selection with a focus on local regional ecosystems
- optimising the success and the environmental outcomes of reforestation by taking broader landscape features and attributes into consideration (i.e. drainage characteristics, linkages with remnant vegetation, fire management, soil changes)
- understanding and mitigating risks to successful reforestation (drought, flood, soil compaction, browsing, lack of maintenance)
- Design and layout of reforestation projects –
- practical design solutions for easy and safe maintenance
- planting density
- species layout
- access for maintenance and fire management
- Site preparation and establishment methods –
- Operational timelines
- Weed control
- Cultivation techniques
- Planting methods
About Your presenters: Private Forestry Service Queensland Inc.
Private Forestry Service Queensland Inc. (PFSQ) is a not-for-profit, community group implementing professional forest establishment and management work across Queensland, from our home base in Gympie.
Amongst a broad range of forestry work, PFSQ have successfully established and maintained revegetation and koala offset projects for the Sunshine Coast Regional Council, Healthy Land and Water, Cherish the Environment Foundation, Subdivisions (QLD) Pty Ltd., Ergon Energy and SEQ Water.
The group consists of 6 qualified professional foresters, an administration team and a skilled field crew.
PFSQ’s forest management system is certified to the Australian Standard for Sustainable Forest Management (AS 4708-2013), an internationally endorsed standard (PEFC) managed under the Responsible Wood Certification Scheme. AS 4708-2013 defines nine criteria and forty requirements relating to the quality assurance, environmental, economic, social and cultural values that must be considered throughout all forms of forest establishment and management.
Please be advised that unfortunately there are no toilet facilities available for use at this property.
Saturday 18th July 2020, 9.00am – 1.00pm. Bus leaves Gympie Landcare at 8:00 am sharp
Morning tea and will be provided.
Benworth Farm, Anderleigh – return bus travel to and from the Gympie Landcare Office is included in your booking.
$50 – Members*
$80 – Non Members
How to Register:
Please Click Here to Register or phone our office on (07) 5483 8866
*Please be advised that you must be a current member to receive the member price discount. You may only make multiple bookings at the reduced member price where you hold a Family Membership to Gympie & District Landcare Group Inc. and the attendees that you are booking for are members of your direct family. For more information about becoming a member, please click here.