One way that you can support our Organisation is by donating native seeds to our nursery, however it is extremely important when collecting and donating seeds to know both what you are collecting and that you are collecting it legally.
Severe penalties can be imposed for collecting and removing seeds from certain areas, such as National Parks and State Forest areas.
The Basics You Need to Know:
- When collecting any kind of native seed on public land, please ensure that you are aware of any regulations that may be in place, or any permits that may be required.
- When collecting any kind of native seed on private property, please ensure that you have the permission of the landholder for collecting seeds.
- The only seeds that we will accept are those of Australian Native plant species.
- We need to know exactly what the seed is – therefore we require a sample (or very clear photograph) of the branch/stem, the leaf and even the flower if possible. If you are unable to provide this information we will unfortunately be unable to accept your donation.
- We also need to know exactly where the seed was collected from and whether it was from the ground or off the tree.
Another extremely important thing to remember when collecting native seeds is to only remove no more than 20% of the available seed or fruit from the plant.
This assists our ecosystems in two ways:
- by providing a natural food source for our local wildlife such as birds, bats and possums, and
- by allowing our native plants to undergo their natural regeneration process, thus assisting with the local survival of the species.
Please remember that if you are unsure about anything regarding seed collection, please speak to our friendly nursery before collecting any seeds.
Seed we are currently seeking include:
- Acmena smithii (Lilly Pilly)
- Alphitonia excelsa (Red Ash / Soap Tree)
- Backhousia myrtifolia (Grey Myrtle)
- Backhousia citriodora (Lemon Myrtle)
- Brachychiton australis (Broad-leaved bottle tree)
- Citrus australis (Australian Round Lime)
- Elaeocarpus grandis (Blue Quandong)
- Elaeocarpus reticulatis (Blueberry Ash)
- Eucalyptus crebra (Narrow-leaved ironbark)
- Glochidion ferdinandi (Cheese Tree)
- Mallotus philippensis (Kamala Tree)
- Petalostigma pubescens (Quinine Bush)
- Petalostigma triloculare (Long-leaved bitter bark)
- Pittosporum undulatum (Mock orange)
- Rhodosphaera rhodanthema (Deep Yellow Wood)
- Stenocarpus sinuatus (Firewheel Tree)
- Sterculia quadrifida (Peanut Tree / Red-fruited Kurrajong)
- Syzygium oleosum (Blue Lilly Pilly)
- Toechima tenax (Brush Teak)
- Toona ciliata (Red Cedar / Mountain Cedar)
- Tristaniopsis laurina (Water Gum / Kanooka)
- Westringia fruticosa (Coastal Native Rosemary)
Our nursery can be contacted on (07) 5483 8866